Sunday, June 13, 2021

Christian Eriksen - It’s Not All About Winning

 


I just thought I'd write this piece about the near-tragic death of the Danish footballer, Christian Eriksen. He was playing in the Euro match between his home national team Denmark against their neighbour Finland. I was watching the match live when all of a sudden he, with no players around him, just fell to the ground. Within seconds it was obvious there was something seriously wrong. Anyway, to cut a longish story short, they applied CPR, restored his breathing, and was taken out of the stadium and to hospital. It is now Sunday and I gather he is up and recuperating. Great news!

So, I have been a big football fan all of my life. I can go all the way back to when, as a schoolboy, I played for Larbert Primary School football team as a striker. Over the years maybe many of us became supporters of our local team - maybe not. Because it is a competitive sport, you're going to have winners and losers. The competitiveness can lead to tribal clashes, ructions and of course violence. We only need to reflect on the many examples: Rangers v Celtic, Manchester United v Manchester City, AC Milan v Inter Milan, Barcelona v Real Madrid; I could go on.

But this takes me back to yesterday and Christian. Here was a man who spent seven successful years with Tottenham Hotspur and last year moved to Inter Milan where, last month, they won the Italian Serie A title. Again, it is all about winning no matter the mental and physical costs. This wonderful football player may never play at the highest levels again. He has realised the hard way that putting one’s life on the line to win a cup or league medal, with all the prestige that goes with it, might have an impact on just how serious we must take the sport. Life is too short when the mentality is winning no matter the outcome!

I do keep reminding myself - and others - that treading the middle way is always a positive, an alternative even. Why? Think about the millionaire businessman whose recent yearly profits show £55 million. Is he happy? Not really because next year he wants to achieve £70 million, £80 million, maybe £100 million. Greed takes over. Suddenly, Covid-19 comes along and, within 12 months, his business is almost over. I’m not saying it’s negative not to aspire to higher things - of course not - but just keep things in perspective.

No doubt Christian Eriksen’s outlook on life will have changed overnight!



No comments: