Monday, October 27, 2008

SLR McLaren Wreckage - Doha, Qatar






Earlier this year, on the morning of 15th July, a horrible 'crash' took place on the south bound highway between Al Khor and Doha. The 'accident' happened about 10 kilometres from the northern outskirts of the city.

I returned to Qatar from field leave a few days later (I work in Ras Laffan) and viewed the photos (which I include here) with absolute horror. During my work rotation, I travel this particular highway back and forwards every day for 28 days. I took a particular interest in this spectaular accident because I became increasingly intrigued how it could have happened. The rumour was that it took place mid-morning, so there would have been very little traffic on the road. This is also a very long stretch of highway with no bends or swellings on the surface. In fact it is as smooth as a Forumla 1 race-track.

So how did it happen? Well from what I gather, this incident was not reported in the local press. Why? I have also done many Google searches and can find scant information on the subject. All I have to go on is the rumour mill. What seems to be certain is that it was a 22-year-old man but it is my understanding that he was a member of the ruling family. Other speculation is that he was accompanied in the passenger seat with a 'senior manager' in Qatar's gas industry in Ras Laffan.

So how did it happen? There was another rumour that a speed camera captured him at the equivalent of 205 mph! Going by my own knowledge of sports cars, I would suggest that he hit a sharp object that punctured a front tyre and, due to the velocity of the car, the tyre exploded. At 200+ mph, the driver would have lost immediate control of the vehicle, and it rolled and rumpled over and over and 'exploded' into parts. But where were the flames? Have a close look at the photos - can you see any evidence of smoke or burned / charred parts? No you cannot.

What is certain is that the car did not collide with another vehicle. When you study the pictures, however, you might be drawn into forming your own conclusions. Someone proffered in one blog that this was the result of a bomb! What do you think? Had the owner of this vehicle been up to no good? Was terrorists involved?

You make up your own mind.

No comments: