Sunday, October 19, 2008

Highways to Hell


The Most Dangerous
Motorways in the World


This is a post I added to an old blogsite that I published when I worked in Kuwait last year. I include it here (edited) for all our Kuwaits exprats who risk life and limb on that contry's hellish motorways.
______________________________________________________

We, my friend and I, live in Mangaf and we enjoy nothing more than driving up to Salmiya on a sunny Thursday morning to drink some nice latte in any of the various cafes and to have a look around the shops. It’s an innocent pastime, even a pleasure, after a long week’s work. We actually look forward to it . . . but wait a minute . . . in a way, I don’t look forward to it any more.

You see I have only been in Kuwait for 3½ months and, like everyone else who comes here, I just cannot comprehend the total disrespect there exists for one’s fellow drivers and passengers on these motorways. I was probably only in Kuwait a matter of days when I decided never to drive a motor vehicle here (I have a colleague and friend who is kind enough to drive me to and from work and to the shops, etc). And as a passenger, I feel doubly at risk. – very at risk.

My observations have been, and I have to mention this upfront, that the crazy, reckless driving I see going on all around me is committed by none other than local Kuwaitis. Day after day, week in and week out, all I read about in the local press is yet another Kuwaiti having been involved in yet another fatal accident. In the UK, we have the Highway Code, a respected, legal document that tells one how to drive sensibly on Britain’s highways and byways. I presume Kuwait has the same and yet I have heard nothing of it. Why? Nobody has officially informed me or handed me anything resembling such a document. I mean, do Kuwaitis have to pass a driving test?

The misuse and abuse of the motorways from the Arabian Gulf Street down as far as the 6th Ring Road (and the Highway to Hell – the 30th!) and beyond amounts to a catalogue of shame. I have personally witnessed one car crash, endless near-misses; I have seen manoeuvres that border on sheer arrogance, a disdain for human life and an absolute selfishness never witnessed in my own country or any other I have visited in my life. Only in Kuwait do I perceive totally fanatical driving, uncontrolled overtaking manoeuvres, the constant violating of red lights, incessant tail-gaiting, the supercilious bullying of Kuwaiti drivers by tooting horns, flashing headlights, making rude gestures with their fingers – I’ve seen it all. It leaves me sad.

I am going on my first field leave in exactly three weeks’ time and I will have to travel on one of these highways to get to the airport. Thankfully, my check-in time is 6:00am in the morning – at least there will be very little traffic on the road at that time of the day. Problem is – I have to come back!

This photo was one I took at the Friday Market just south of Kuwait City - I was told the driver didn't stand a chance. What do you think?

No comments: