Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Back On the Blog

 


It's been nearly four years since I last posted anything on the blog. The one dated today, 10th May, 2021, was actually written about five years ago but for some reason I never published it. Anyway, I am home and as I am now semi-retired and back in the UK, I shall be writing more about national and International relations and politics. I might throw in the odd satirical sketch.

So I thought I'd take this opportunity to discuss the Scottish election poll that ended three days ago. As a Unionist - one who wants to preserve the future of the UK - I voted for the Conservative candidate in my constituency. Bearing in mind that my constituency has been SNP-governed for the last 10 years or so, I never felt confident of the outcome. And I was right. The SNP won the vote  - some things never change! The day after the election I read that only 55% of the people came out to vote; a complete disaster. And you know what? I reckon there was a large percentage of voters who thought, 'Oh, the SNP will win anyway, so why bother voting?

So we are now in the unfortunate position of having what I call the Scottish Nazi Party (SNP) governing the country for another 4/5 years. Yes, I say Nazi because Nicola Sturgeon, the SNP leader, was and has been exercising her authoritarian power just like Adolf Hitler did in Germany back in the 30s and early 40s. Of course people outside the UK will have no knowledge and thus no understanding of how the SNP run our country. For any government to have around 50% of members of parliament in office, then you can understand how a dictatorial rule can happen. And believe you me, the SNP is a dictatorial party who once again is pushing for yet another independence referendum (indy-ref). In other words to get the Scottish people to vote to become independent from the UK and to ‘go it alone’. However, the day after the SNP won the election and Sturgeon’s plea that another indy-ref would take place within a couple of years, Boris Johnson came out and said there would not be another indy-ref. Period!

Back in 2014 when the first indy-ref took place, I recall Alex Salmond (then the First Minister at Holyrood - the Scottish Parliament) that the vote would be a ‘once in a generation’ event. And to Ms Sturgeon I would enlighten her, as if she already doesn’t know, that once in a generation means approximately 25 years. Your then boss said it. So live with it - get on with self-government - and start to rebuild the Scottish economy after the pandemic instead of this constant viral obsession with independence.

I would just finish this new blog about the United Kingdom. The UK is actually now classed as the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Initially, the two separate ‘warring’ nations of Scotland and England eventually made peace. Of course this was dissolved over the years. The Act of Union made a conclusive end to the kingdoms of Scotland and England in 1707. From then on only Great Britain remained, one nation with one parliament and one monarch. The Commonwealth of Nations, generally known simply as the British Commonwealth, is a political association of 54 member states, almost all of which are former territories of the British Empire. The Commonwealth dates back to the first half of the 20th century with the decolonisation of the British Empire through increased self-governance of its territories. The current Commonwealth of Nations was formally constituted by the London Declaration in 1949, which modernised the community and established the member states as 'free and equal'.

So, that’s me . . . back on the blog and enjoying it!


No comments: